Picture this: you’re in a new city for the day and looking for a comfortable coffee shop to work remotely. Likely, the first place you’ll turn to is Google/Google Maps to get a search of shops in your area. What are some of the characteristics you take into account when choosing a spot? Is it the reviews, proximity, photos, or if they make your go-to-drink: a large white chocolate mocha?
Your customers are doing the same thing for your business. 97 percent of people found out more about a local company through the internet in 2017. This means your small business needs a presence online if you want to take advantage of that visibility. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a fancy term for how visible your website is when someone searches a topic and has been proven to have a better ROI than social media, yet many dedicate less time to it comparably.
Google My Business (GMB) is a user-friendly platform that helps put your website at the top of someone’s search (on Google specifically). The better maintained your online presence is here, the more likely your page will be found and the more traffic you will have at your business. This is a great place to start for someone with limited time, money, or experience with SEO. This is free, takes less time, and requires less SEO understanding to make your business stand out.
- Accuracy- When you claim your business on Google, you are in control of the information displayed. When a potential customer searches for your business, you don’t want a lack of a phone number or store hours to be the reason you don’t get their business.
- Online Presence- Registering your business allows it to appear in Google Maps, as well as in searches when someone is looking for something similar to the product or service you provide.
- Build a Reputation- Not only will your business information show up when someone is considering you, but Google reviews will accompany it. A high review rating gives customers confidence that you are the right choice for them. Just think about how you shop online – how influential are the reviews when making your decision?
- Increase Engagement- When your business information is in more places, more eyes will see it. Consider adding this to your arsenal of advertising tactics and measure its engagement success like anything else. You might be surprised by how effective it is.
- Free Stuff!- This makes GMB a no-brainer. Marketing your business any other way will come at some cost to you. All this requires is your time. What do you have to lose? If you ignore it, you’re saying “no” to one of the largest companies in the world offering help.
This can certainly be intimidating. You may be wondering where to start. If you’d like, our team at Bankable would be more than happy to help our clients with this sort of thing. Reach out to your loan officer or point of contact and we will help you set up your own GMB profile.
Check out another blog about GMB we wrote: https://bankable.org/guide-to-google-business-profile/
Written by: Caleb Sorrell, Digital Marketing Specialist