What is Google My Business?
Google My Business is a service from Google that allows an owner/manager of a company to formally register their ownership of their company with Google. This ownership allows Google to give the owner the power to edit the information that appears when somebody searches for the owner’s company. This information includes company address, hours of business, pictures of the company, and more. Overall, this tool allows companies to ensure that users are getting accurate information from Google searches regarding the company.
Above is an image of our Google My Business profile. We were able to select which pictures we wanted to show off, as well as include our company information, such as address, hours, and phone number. A well maintained Google My Business picture can make it much easier on Google users to obtain information about your business.
How to set up Google My Business:
- Start the process by navigating to the Google My Business homepage
- Located here: https://goo.gl/6LCj9r
- Click on the green “Start Now” button in the top right corner of the homepage
- First, make sure you are logged into the proper email account. This may need to be a @gmail.com address to properly work.
- Fill out the form with your company and personal information
- Make sure to answer the question asking about whether you deliver products to customers at their location. This affects how your information is displayed.
- After filling out the necessary form, you should have access to your business via Google My Business. From the homepage, you can edit basic information, such as business phone number, hours, and more. We recommend adding as much information as you feel is necessary to ensure users can obtain the necessary details about your business
- Next, pick some flattering pictures of your business. Pictures of the building, the inside, and pictures of the staff are all solid options for pictures that will attract clients
- Go to the “Photos” tab from the homepage. You can put pictures in different categories, including cover picture, profile picture, exterior pictures, interior, etc.
- These pictures will be displayed on the business profile when users search for your business on Google
- In the “Reviews” tab, you can view and manage reviews of your business
- The “Insights” tab contains a lot of useful information about how people are interacting with your company via Google. It breaks down how people are discovering your company on Google, what kind of interactions they have, and more. Overall, it provides relevant information to the owner that reflects the needs of the consumer.
- To complete your Google My Business profile, go through these 10 steps to optimize your profile: https://blog.getresponse.com/10-point-checklist-for-optimizing-your-google-my-businesssite.html.
Verifying your business:
To get the most out of Google My Business, a business should go through the Google verification process. The verification process proves business ownership, and allows the user to have full control over the business profile. To verify your business, follow these steps outlined by Google at https://goo.gl/8O9K3n:
- To request a postcard:
- Sign in to Google My Business.
- Choose the business you’d like to verify, then click Verify now.
- On the postcard request screen, make sure that your address is displayed accurately. If it isn’t, edit the address before you request your postcard. You can also add an Optional contact nameto help your postcard reach you.
- Click Send postcard.
- Check the mail for your postcard. Most postcards arrive within 5 days. Don’t edit your business name, address, or category, or request a new code while you’re waiting—this may delay the verification process.
To enter the verification code:
- Once you receive your postcard, sign in to Google My Business.
- If you manage more than one location, click Manage locationon the location you want to verify.
- Click the Enter codebutton in the blue banner at the top of the page.
- Enter the 5-digit verification code from your postcard in the “Code” field.
- Click Submit.
If your postcard is lost or missing, you can request a new one.
To request a postcard:
- Open the Google My Business app.
- Tap Send postcard.
- Choose the business you’d like to verify, then tap I don’t have a code.
- Check the mail for your postcard—it should arrive in one to two weeks. Don’t edit your business name, address, or category, or request a new code while you’re waiting—this may delay the verification process.
To enter a verification code:
- Once you’ve received the postcard, open the Google My Business app.
- Choose the business you’d like to verify.
- Tap Enter codeto complete the verification or I don’t have a code if you never received your postcard.
Once you’ve entered your verification code, your business information will be eligible to appear live on Google Maps, Search, and other Google services. By following these simple steps, you should be well on your way to have your business’ information more accessible to your target audience.